Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Raya (or How Tami Convinced Eric to Get a Cat)

For nearly as long as we have been married, Tami and I have been interested in getting a pet. We talk about it from time to time. "Wouldn't it be nice to get a dog someday?" or "When we are more settled/move to a house we should have pets." This week we visited some friends, Joe and Ashlee York, for Joe's birthday party and we met a certain gray tabby kitten that belonged to Ashlee's sister.



Tami and I thought it was cute and did our best to cuddle it and protect it from the mauling children at the party. Tami coaxed, "Isn't she cute? Wouldn't you want a kitty?" I replied that it was cute, and that it might be nice to have a kitten someday. The following day Ashlee called Tami and told her that her sister was thinking about giving the kitten away and wanted to let us know since Tami seemed to take such a liking to it.



What did I think of this idea? I was not too sure, especially since it would mean extra expenses at a time when we are struggling for jobs. I did not flat out say no, but I told her I didn't think it was the best idea right now. The next day Tami received a phone call with some very good news--she was offered a full time job with a school in Caldwell! We were ecstatic! I suppose it was in part because of this happiness and in part because we were going to have extra income secured that I broke down and let Tami bring the cat home. We are now the proud owners of a 3 month old kitten which we have named Raya (RYE-uh) from the Spanish word for "stripe." She is a cute little thing and she brings some new excitement to our home.


Cat Napping

1 comment:

  1. I do remember that you also took a liking to her at that party. Don't put all the blame on me dear ;)

    ReplyDelete